Location of Service: Muse Knoxville – 516 N Beaman Street, Knoxville, TN
About Muse Knoxville:
Muse Knoxville is a children’s Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) museum located in East Tennessee. Our programs in the museum, in schools across 24 Tennessee counties, and in the community bring STEM, the arts, health and wellness, and emergent literacy to life in the minds of young children. We inspire and empower all children through transformative learning experiences, through a variety of hands-on and inquiry-based exhibits and Outreach programs for children aged 6 months to 10 years old.
We have recently launched the pilot year of our new Muse Apprenticeship Program (“MAP”), a workforce development program for our historically underserved students in Knoxville, for grades 7-12, with which our VISTA member will be supporting.
We currently have a Belonging Manager leading this program — this is a position where their goal is to increase genuine belonging efforts within our organization (diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion). Our VISTA member will work under their guidance to build capacity in the Muse Apprenticeship Program, including but not limited to: community member mentorships for all students, leadership training and development curriculum for apprentices, building relationships with the partner schools, and more. We want to accept more and more apprentices into our program, and a VISTA member will help us address this need in a genuine way.
- Excellent communication skills with diverse stakeholders with different ages; clear writer, facilitator, and public speaker
- Have a passion for serving the direct community
- Have a passion for working with people from diverse backgrounds and understand structural and institutional causes that prevent historically underserved populations from gaining access
- Have attributes associated with playfulness
Member Benefits Include:
- A modest living allowance of $15,001.50 or, $575.40 bi-weekly (pre-tax), paid over 52 weeks.
- Education Award of $6,345 that can be applied to student loans and/or future education expenses or a $1,800 end-of-service stipend.
- A Health insurance subsidy is available for members covered through healthcare.gov
- Worker’s Compensation
- Child Care Reimbursement
- May be eligible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). In-house SNAP benefits specialist available to provide assistance in determining eligibility.
- May be eligible for utility bill assistance. In-house specialists available to provide assistance with determining eligibility.
- Relocation & Close-of-Service travel allowance if moving more than 50 miles from your home to serve.
- Professional development and networking opportunities.
- Settling-In Allowance of up to $750 (must be requested).
- Non-Competitive Eligibility status for federal hiring after completion of service.
- Optional opportunity to enroll concurrently in Carson Newman MBA in Nonprofit Leadership
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.