Location of Service: Beardsley Community Farm – 1741 Reynolds Street, Knoxville, TN 37921
About Beardsley Farm:
CAC Beardsley Community Farm is an urban educational farm that promotes food security and sustainable agriculture. Beardsley’s goal is to increase food security in Knoxville through produce donations, accessible education, and land and resources for gardening. Beardsley Farm grows over 10,000 pounds of produce on about four-acres of productive land with the help of over 2,000 annual volunteers.
- Support and expand existing programming of Beardsley Farm, including the Green Thumb program, field trips, summer camp, high school apprenticeship program, perishables food program, and garden workshops
- Maintain vegetable crops and fruit production (planting, weeding, harvesting, irrigation, crop-rotation, maintaining soil health, disease/pest management)
- Lead volunteers in farm tasks
- Work and connect with community partners
- Help with care of Green Thumb community gardens throughout Knox County
- Tend to the flock of hens
- Maintain the health of a bee-hive and harvest honey
- Maintain landscape at the farm
- Plan and promote community and fundraising events
- Foster a safe and enjoyable place for diverse community members at the farm
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Must enjoy and be capable of working outdoors in all weather conditions (sun, rain, heat, cold)
- Ability to multi-task and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interest in environmental education
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, team lift 100 pounds
- Kneeling, pushing a loaded wheelbarrow uphill
- Ability to/willingness to learn how to use common farming and gardening equipment
Member Benefits Include:
- A modest living allowance of $20,000*, or, $851.06 bi-weekly (pre-tax), paid over 47 weeks. *Pending Grant Funding
- Education Award of $6,495 (pre-tax) that can be applied to student loans and/or future education expenses
- Up to $250 Relocation Reimbursement if relocating over 50 miles for service
- A Health insurance subsidy is available for members covered through healthcare.gov
- 10 Holidays
- Worker’s Compensation
- Child Care Reimbursement
- May be eligible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). In-house SNAP benefits specialist available to provide assistance in determining eligibility.
- May be eligible for utility bill assistance. In-house specialists available to provide assistance with determining eligibility.
- Professional development and networking opportunities.
- Optional opportunity to enroll concurrently in Carson Newman MBA in Nonprofit Leadership
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.