Location of Service: Boys & Girls Club of the Smoky Mountains – 209 McMahan Ave, Sevierville, TN 37862 and 212 N Pitner Rd, Seymour, TN 37865
Length of Service: 16 weeks, 20 hr/week
About Boys & Girls Club of the Smoky Mountains:
The mission of the Boys & Girls Club of the Smoky Mountains (BGCSM) is to inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential of becoming productive, caring, and responsible citizens. For over 30 years BGCSM has been serving youth in Sevier county by providing them with a safe place to learn and grow. BGCSM currently operates five Club sites in Sevier County located in Gatlinburg, Kodak, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and Seymour. All five Club sites serve youth ages 6-18 and include a teen center at each site. They serve every school in Sevier County and provide daily meals to Club members. As an organization, we operate based on the Sevier County School system. All Club sites are open Monday-Friday after school until 7:00 pm or during the summer/out of school days from 7:00 am-6:00 pm. Clubs are not open during the weekend.
AmeriCorps Fellows will assist with our educational programming focused on grades K-3. This will include but will not be limited to assisting with Power Hour (Making Minutes Count helps Club members ages 6-18 achieve academic success by providing homework help, tutoring, and high-yield learning activities and encouraging members to become self-directed learners), Study Island (online platform that helps students grades K-12 master state-specific, grade-level academic standards in a fun and engaging manner) and other educational focused activities for grades K-3 rd. They will also assist with mealtimes. This includes serving pre-packaged meals and snacks to Club members at designated times.
- Passion for youth-development
- Team Player
- Basic Computer Skills
- Maintain and organize documentation for programs
- Applicant must pass a background check, fingerprint screening, and drug test in accordance with state law
Member Benefits Include:
- A modest living allowance of $3,300 distributed bi-weekly at $412.50 (pre-tax), paid over 16 weeks-weekly
- Education Award of $1,342 that can be applied to student loans and/or future education expenses
- Worker’s Compensation
- May be eligible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). In-house SNAP benefits specialist available to provide assistance in determining eligibility.
- May be eligible for utility bill assistance. In-house specialists available to provide assistance with determining eligibility.
- Professional development and networking opportunities
- Optional opportunity to enroll concurrently in Carson Newman MBA in Nonprofit Leadership
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.