Location of Service: Cokesbury Church / Fig Tree – 9919 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37922
About Cokesbury Church / Fig Tree:
Fig Tree is a place to be seen and known, offering a variety of services as well as a gathering place for friendship and community. While striving to create a safe community for everyone, we prioritize our most vulnerable neighbors. Fig Tree connects community members with a variety of Cokesbury resources including: financial services, free tax assistance, hot meals, and Cokesbury’s food pantry. During open hours, we also offer access to computers, the internet, restrooms, laundry facilities, and showers, as well as trained volunteers who are available for relational ministry and referrals.
- Collect and organize census data, to better understand the Knoxville landscape.
- Build upon an interactive map of service providers.
- Discover what plagues Knoxville’s nonprofit community by surveying relevant service providers.
- Organize community listening sessions to gain an understanding of issues from the perspective of people.
- Compile information gained from listening sessions, surveys, and census data to improve upon our community needs assessment.
- Brainstorm, outline, and coordinate unique project plans that pull in key resources (volunteers, grants, partners, gift-in-kind donations, etc), based on findings from the needs assessment.
- Promote well-being and self-sufficiency for our unhoused guests.
The member(s) in this position will have the opportunity to gain the following skills/credentials:
- Gained experience in working in and with non-profits
- Working in a team environment
- Relationship building skills with people living in poverty
- Writing skills
- Self-starter/entrepreneurial skills
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in nonprofit management, community development, social services or related field preferred.
- Competent technology skills.
- Excellent people skills: able to work with people from a variety of backgrounds; in particular unhoused community members that may be experiencing a variety of issues including untreated mental illnesses and addiction.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Comfortable working in an inclusive, faith-based setting.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit able to chart new paths and try new things given support and direction from Outreach Team Leader.
- Solid relationship skills and an innate love for people. All data, research, and recommendations should be rooted in a deep knowledge of and love for our prioritized stakeholders.
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.