Location of Service: UT Office of Sustainability – 2040 Sutherland Ave, Knoxville, TN 37996
About UT Office of Sustainability:
The UT Office of Sustainability is committed to promoting the responsible consumption of human, economic, and environmental resources on the University of Tennessee, Knoxville campus. We use holistic data collection and analysis to inform sustainability initiatives and develop collaborations with campus and community partners to reduce the environmental impacts of the University’s operations, all while engaging the campus community in what it means to Make Orange Green.
- Connect to the campus community in order to educate students, faculty, and staff about sustainability.
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with all campus contacts.
- Put on informational presentations to classes and student organizations.
- Plan and execute events throughout the academic year, including, but not limited to, Earth Month, America Recycles Day, and two environmental competitions for residence halls, the POWER Challenge and The Race to Zero Waste.
- Recruit and manage volunteers for weekly volunteer work days at our various sites, as well as miscellaneous volunteer events.
- Recruit, communicate with, and sometimes lead volunteers during Zero Waste Gamedays which take place generally on Saturdays.
- Curate the Office of Sustainability’s online presence, which involves maintaining the website, writing and editing blog posts, coordinating information for the monthly office newsletter, and managing and creating content for all Office of Sustainability social media platforms.
- Recruit, train, and direct a team of student workers and interns who will help with social media, event planning, website updates, and general campus outreach.
- Assist the Compost Logistics Coordinator with the Office of Sustainability’s educational interventions for 3rd-12th grade students to educate potential college students on composting and sustainability practices.
- Serve as a representative of the Office of Sustainability at campus and community events that may occur at night or on the weekend.
- When needed, this position will assist other Office of Sustainability AmeriCorps members in a diverse range of tasks, which can sometimes be physically demanding and require working with trash, recycling, and compost.
The member(s) in this position will have the opportunity to gain the following skills/credentials:
- Archibus purchasing
- Social media management
- Volunteer coordination
- Student engagement
- Public speaking/communication
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or environmental field strongly preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of sustainability efforts within higher education or community organizations or experience working with a college or university sustainability office
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively on a wide range of tasks
- Ability to create and give presentations to small and large (30+) groups
- Great all around communication skills in a professional setting
- Ability to infrequently work long hours standing and/or outdoors
- Ability to coordinate large groups of volunteers on a variety of tasks
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.