Location of Service: Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful – 12640 Sailpointe Lane, Knoxville, TN 37922
About Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful:
Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that serves as the first Keep America Beautiful affiliate in the nation to focus solely on a river. Our mission is to educate and inspire people to take action to create a clean, healthy, beautiful Tennessee River for generations to come.
We seek to achieve this mission by hosting river cleanups and other programming not to be custodians of the river, but to show our volunteers the impact litter has on our waterways and what they can do to make a difference. Our volunteer cleanups are held along the 652-mile Tennessee River and its tributaries. The area spans into the seven states of TN, AL, MS, KY, GA, NC, and VA.
Our river is impacted either positively or negatively by all parts of our society—whether it be residential, commercial, governmental, or industrial—and therefore Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful strives to work with stakeholders in each of these facets to ensure the Tennessee River remains beautiful and thriving for all to enjoy.
The AmeriCorps member will be working with programs and projects managed by Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful. The member will be working with the Executive Director of Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful as well as other members of the staff. The person serving in this position needs to be a self-starter that understands the mission and vision of the organization as well as the responsibilities of the position, which will include:
- Helping with the planning and execution of river cleanups throughout the Tennessee River watershed within the seven states of Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, Georgia, Virginia, and North Carolina.
- Recruiting volunteers for river cleanups.
- Assisting with office work including: building e-mail lists, writing blogs, compiling and analyzing data from projects in the field, making social media posts.
- Delivering and at times installing infrastructure that will help to reduce litter throughout the Tennessee River watershed.
- Helping with errands for programs such as cleanup supply pickups, Adopt a River Mile package shipping, etc.
The member(s) in this position will have the opportunity to gain the following skills/credentials:
- Chance to enhance people and networking skills
- Opportunity to develop writing and marketing skills
- Ability to both work in an office environment and outdoors in all seasonal weather conditions on the water during intense weekend cleanup schedule.
- Adeptness with social media; primarily Facebook and Instagram.
- Ability to provide own, reliable transportation to program sites and meetings. Overnight travel may be required.
- Physical capability of lifting 50 lbs. and climbing in and out of boat from/to varying terrains.
- Ability to work independently, but comfortable asking supervisor for clarification, expert opinion, and/or advice as needed.
- Ability to follow safety protocol, especially on and around the water.
- Completion of assigned tasks in a reasonable amount of time.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks while working on several projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Comfort using Google Drive.
- Writing that expresses content succinctly with correct syntax, grammar, and spelling.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate positively with partner entities.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.