Location of Service: Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful – 205 West Baxter Av
About Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful:
Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that serves as the first Keep America Beautiful affiliate in the nation to focus solely on a river. Our mission is to educate and inspire people to take action to create a clean, healthy, beautiful Tennessee River for generations to come.
We seek to achieve this mission by hosting river cleanups and other programming not to be custodians of the river but to show our volunteers the impact litter has on our waterways and what they can do to make a difference. Our volunteer cleanups are held along the 652-mile Tennessee River and its tributaries. The area spans into the seven states of TN, AL, MS, KY, GA, NC, and VA.
Our river is impacted either positively or negatively by all parts of our society—whether it be residential, commercial, governmental, or industrial—and therefore Keep the Tennessee River Beautiful strives to work with stakeholders in each of these facets to ensure the Tennessee River remains beautiful and thriving for all to enjoy.
The person serving in this position needs to be a self-starter that understands the mission and vision of the organization as well as the responsibilities of the position, which will include:
- Helping with the planning and execution of river cleanups throughout the Tennessee River watershed within the seven states of Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, Georgia, Virginia, and North Carolina.
- Delivering and at times installing infrastructure that will help to reduce litter throughout the Tennessee River watershed
- Recruiting volunteers for river cleanups and Adopt a River Mile / Adopt a Stormdrain program
- Assisting with office work including:
- Building e-mail lists
- Writing blogs
- Compiling and analyzing data from projects in the field
- Making social media posts
- 4-year degree graduate of accredited college or university – Prior work experience with non-profits preferred
- Ability to both work in an office environment and outdoors in all seasonal weather conditions on the water during intense weekend cleanup schedule.
- Adeptness with social media; primarily Facebook and Instagram.
- Ability to provide own, reliable transportation to program sites and meetings. Overnight travel may be required.
- Physical capability of lifting 50 lbs. and climb in and out of boat from/to varying terrains.
- Ability to work independently, but comfortable asking supervisor for clarification, expert opinion, and/or advice as needed.
- Ability to follow safety protocol, especially on and around the water.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks while working on several projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Comfort using google drive.
- Writing that expresses content succinctly with correct syntax, grammar, and spelling.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate positively with partner entities.
Member Benefits Include:
- A modest living allowance of $20,000*, or, $851.06 bi-weekly (pre-tax), paid over 47 weeks. *Pending Grant Funding
- Education Award of $6,495 (pre-tax) that can be applied to student loans and/or future education expenses
- Up to $250 Relocation Reimbursement if relocating over 50 miles for service
- A Health insurance subsidy is available for members covered through healthcare.gov
- 10 Holidays
- Worker’s Compensation
- Child Care Reimbursement
- May be eligible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). In-house SNAP benefits specialist available to provide assistance in determining eligibility.
- May be eligible for utility bill assistance. In-house specialists available to provide assistance with determining eligibility.
- Professional development and networking opportunities.
- Optional opportunity to enroll concurrently in Carson Newman MBA in Nonprofit Leadership
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.