Location of Service: Knoxville-Knox County CAC Office on Aging – 611 Winona St, Knoxville, TN 37917
About Office on Aging:
The CAC Office on Aging is a public nonprofit agency that serves all seniors, regardless of life situation, but we are passionate about helping those for whom aging often presents the greatest hardship: those living in poverty, in frail health, or alone. Our team of 50+ employees manages over 20 programs and initiatives, including a senior center and an adult day facility. If you are looking to use your creativity in helping people and changing lives, consider joining our team!
Goal of the Project:
Lead the John T. O’Connor Senior Center (JTO) initiative to build program capacity by streamlining volunteer recruitment, promoting recreational/educational programming, and developing the JTO urban agriculture initiative. These collective efforts will mobilize 50+ senior volunteers and provide an opportunity to 500+ seniors to learn about accessible solutions to the challenges of healthy eating and proper nutrition.
- Assess, interview and document the obstacles facing seniors accessing sustainable and healthy food options
- Create a detailed report on obstacles facing healthy eating choices for older adults in urban areas
- Compare findings to other programs developed around the country
- Present findings to JTO team
- Support the development of educational programming and plan of implementation
- Develop a Program Plan for the greenhouse with clear and measurable goals and objectives supporting the initiative.
- Create an urban agriculture coordinator training curriculum
- Utilize monthly meeting time to solicit feedback on the JTO Greenhouse Education Program
- Create and document curriculum outline
- Market/advertise the program to target population
- Develop and document a retention plan for the program
- Oversee implementation of the program
- Maintain open communication between JTO team, greenhouse volunteers and instructors and participants
- Ensure that classes are implemented as scheduled per curriculum plan
- Evaluate the program
- Assess the growth of the program by interviewing JTO team and surveying participants and instructors
- Make improvements to Program Plan as needed
- Support the JTO volunteer recruitment and recreational/educational programming efforts
- Update digital/print volunteer recruitment material.
- Design and share impact stories of recreational/educational programming on social media.
- Develop media content for JTO programming for OOA website. (Interview clients and volunteers; produce testimonials – print or video media stories promoting and recruiting for each.)
- Develop a print and social media campaign surrounding a season, theme, or existing event including but not limited to: hashtag development, content, and plan for a month of daily multimedia posts leading up to the fundraiser or event.
The member(s) in this position will have the opportunity to gain the following skills/credentials:
- Social media strategies and design
- Analytic and critical thinking
- Event planning
- Technical knowledge related to creating developing social media content.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work independently.
- Work in a creative team structure.
- Enjoy working with older adults.
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.