Location of Service: Town of Farragut Stormwater – 11408 Municipal Center Dr, Farragut, TN 37934
About Town of Farragut Stormwater:
Incorporated in 1980, the Town of Farragut is home to just over 22,500 people. Located in the westernmost portion of Knox County, Farragut is known for its top schools, safe neighborhoods, and high development standards.
The Town has about 50 full-time employees on staff that are housed in 5 departments: Administration, Development, Engineering, Parks & Rec, and Public Works. Its many parks and public facilities offer numerous recreational opportunities for residents.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new and existing education projects
- Develop presentations, workshops and outreach materials for distribution throughout the community. Audiences include children, homeowner’s association members, teachers, Town staff, etc.
- Lead classroom lessons and activities surrounding water quality in public and private schools
- Promote stormwater-related environmental awareness and education through social media
- Assist with the planning of and participate in a variety of environmental education events. Attend meetings, staff and outreach booth, conduct activities, etc.
- Recruit and manage volunteers in environmental conservation activities
- Coordinate the Adopt-A-Stream program: Promote the Adopt-A-Stream program, recruit and train new groups, secure existing groups and lead stream clean-ups
- Coordinate presentations, special events and hands-on service learning projects at the Town’s Outdoor Classroom and Water Quality Demonstration Space.
- Conduct visual assessments of Town waterways to identify potential pollutant sources and remediation sites
- Screen pipe outfalls to the stream for possible illicit discharges
- Map and assess a variety of water quality infrastructure elements, such as detention basins, rain gardens, grassed swales, etc.
- Create and modify basic maps using GIS software
- Present a status report at monthly meetings of the Stormwater Advisory Committee, a citizen-led group supporting the Town’s stormwater program
- Prepare grant proposals and obtain funding for a variety of projects such as tree plantings, stream clean-ups and analytical monitoring of streams
- Willing to work weekends and extended hours, on occasion
The member(s) in this position will have the opportunity to gain the following skills/credentials:
- Level 1 Tennessee Erosion Protection and Sediment Control Certification
- Public Speaking/Teaching
- GIS-based mapping
- Event planning
- Environmental policy
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Geography, Biology, Natural Resource Management or related field.
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.