Location of Service: Muse Knoxville – 516 N Beaman Street, Knoxville TN 37914
About Muse Knoxville:
Muse Knoxville is a children’s Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math (STEAM) museum located in Chilhowee Park. Our programs in the museum, in schools across East Tennessee, & throughout Knoxville bring STEM, the arts, health & wellness, & emergent literacy to life in the minds of children. We inspire & empower ALL children through transformative learning experiences through a variety of hands-on and inquiry-based, exhibits and Outreach programs for children aged 6 months to 10 years old.
Muse Knoxville’s summer VISTA associates will focus on one of our favorite core values: Muse For All. Our summer educational programming efforts are now targeting historically underserved communities and populations in Knoxville, and VISTA members will support our summer camps and the students they serve. For the first time in our history, targeting nearby Title 1 elementary Community Schools, refugee and immigrant advocacy groups and more will ensure that local families receive high quality child care camps for their elementary-aged children, completely free of charge to them. This affects their economic mobility, as East Knoxville is a well known child care desert. Our VISTA members will help gather data and impact information around our summer educational programming, and will support STEAM based educational activities with the children.
- Strong interest in engaging young children (ages 1 to 10) and their caregivers
- Passionate about education
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds and understand structural and institutional causes that prevent historically underserved populations from gaining access
- Great verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Positive attitude
- Understanding of basic technology
- Attributes related to playfulness
Member Benefits Include:
- A modest living allowance of $2,589.30 or, $575.40 bi-weekly (pre-tax), paid over 9 weeks.
- Education Award of $1,095.16 that can be applied to student loans and/or future education expenses or an end-of-service stipend.
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.