A household is considered food insecure if it does not have consistent access to food due to lack of resources. According to Feeding America’s 2016 data, 13.3%, or 59,550 individuals living in Knox County are considered food insecure. From the same report, it is estimated that 18.1% of Knoxville’s population under the age of 18, or 17,370 minors, are food insecure. Children in food insecure households are especially susceptible to experiencing hunger during the summer months because they do not have access to school provided free and reduced lunches. According to the Department of Human Services, Knox County estimates that they are only reaching 11% of eligible students through their Summer Food Service program.
During the Summer of 2019, CAC AmeriCorps will be hosting a VISTA Summer Associates program aimed at increasing access to food for low income children during the summer months by expanding the existing CAC Summer Food Service Program. 5 VISTA Summer Associates will engage in an 8-week service program working to establish new feeding sites. The Summer Associates will provide both in-direct capacity building services through the creation of marketing materials to promote the new sites, forging lasting relationships with partner organizations, and ensuring the new feeding sites are sustainable, as well working directly at the sites to get them up and running.
Program Details and Eligibility
- The VISTA Summer Associates Program will run from May 20, 2019 – July 15, 2019.
- Members will be expected to serve full time for the duration of their service term, M-F 8:00 – 4:45.
- Members will be required to secure their own housing and have reliable transportation to and from service each day.
- Members must be a US citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the US?
Please note, holding a work, student, or other VISA is not equivalent for the purposes of AmeriCorps service.
- Members must be able to pass a series of national service criminal history checks.
Anyone who refuses to undergo the checks, makes false statements in connection with a CAC AmeriCorps inquiry concerning criminal history, is listed, or required to be listed, on a sex offender registry, or is convicted of murder is ineligible to serve with CAC AmeriCorps.
Benefits for AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associates
- A modest living allowance of up to $1,888.88 distributed bi-weekly over the course of 8 weeks (before taxes).
- Education Award of $1,289.95 after completion of service term (8 weeks) or a $276.64 end-of-service stipend.
- On-site and professional development training.
- Access to an engaged base of Alums in the region.
- Learn more about AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associates Benefits