Location of Service: City of Oak Ridge Stormwater – 100 Woodbury Lane, Oak Ridge, TN 37830
About City of Oak Ridge Stormwater:
Oak Ridge, TN has a rich history and was instrumental in the United States win over Nazi Germany during WWII because of the development of the atomic bomb. Known as the “Secret City”, Oak Ridge was not on any maps and 100,000 workers were brought to the city to work on a Top Secret war project, known as the Manhattan Project. The City of Oak Ridge is located in the eastern part of Tennessee, approximately 22 miles northwest of Knoxville, with a population of approximately 27,000. Oak Ridge is approximately 92 square miles in area with all residential, commercial, and municipal-owned portions making up 30 square miles. The remaining area of the City is still owned by the Department of Energy, which includes a national laboratory and a national security complex. The City of Oak Ridge has become a thriving solid community. Known for its world-class science, Oak Ridge is one of the most influential cities in the United States. Residents have limitless amenities that make day-to-day living a pleasure. Safe neighborhoods, extensive greenways, award-winning schools, top-notch healthcare, and a traditional sense of community, make Oak Ridge the perfect environment to nurture a family or to nest for retirement.
As a recently mandated Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4), the City of Oak Ridge gives CAC AmeriCorps members the unique opportunity to assist in expanding the city’s stormwater program under the direction of the Environmental Compliance Manager. This position provides a mix of office, field, classroom, and event work as well as a variety of experiences and opportunities.
- Manage the City of Oak Ridge Healthy Waters program, which focuses on education and outreach related to stormwater quality.
- Work with students of all ages, as well as the general public.
- Collaborate and support other AmeriCorps members and professionals working at related organizations when appropriate.
- Assist the Environmental Compliance Manager and Environmental Compliance Inspector in a variety of tasks to maintain compliance with the NPDES MS4 Stormwater Permit.
- Support larger city events by serving on event committees and assisting with event execution.
- Work together with other AmeriCorps member at the City to plan, create outreach materials, and host educational events, presentations, and workshops focused on water quality improvement measures for a variety of age groups.
- Coordinate community volunteer events aimed at improving water quality in Oak Ridge.
- Recruite and train volunteers for Oak Ridge’s Adopt-A-Stream Program.
- Bring information to the general public by tabling at community events, hosting special events, and managing the Healthy Waters Program’s social media presence.
- Assist in conducting stream surveys to identify problem areas.
- Perform basic chemical tests on pipe outfalls to detect potential illicit discharges in streams.
- Help prevent municipal stormwater pollution in City departments.
- Create and/or expand on special projects like rain gardens.
The member(s) in this position will have the opportunity to gain the following skills/credentials:
- Tennessee Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Level 1 certification offered by the TN Department of Environment and Conservation.
- Fieldwork experience, public speaking skills, and event planning skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Biology, Forestry, or related field.
- Knowledge of software programs such as MS Office and proficiency using email, virtual meeting software, and social media platforms.
- Experience collecting data using a handheld GPS device/Trimble and Arc Collector.
- Experience organizing/leading volunteer events, public speaking, and educating diverse groups of people
- Ability to navigate uneven terrain, and work in challenging weather conditions with exposure to poisonous plants and polluted urban streams.
- Ability to work in a team of two AmeriCorps members in an office setting with little supervision at times.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and professional demeanor when engaged in public activities.
- Ability to explain relevant information clearly to a variety of public audiences in both written and verbal forms.
- Ability to prioritize duties to accomplish a high volume of work.
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.