Location of Service: Knoxville’s Community Development Corporation (KCDC) – 901 North Broadway, Knoxville, TN 37917
About Knoxville’s Community Development Corporation (KCDC):
KCDC is the housing authority for the City of Knoxville and Knox County. We have 3,500 units dedicated to the low-income and extremely low-income area residents. We also manage an additional 4,000 vouchers through the Section 8 program. All of these residents are facing poverty-related issues. Our goal is to bring together partners from across the area to identify and help residents in areas of need.
The CAC VISTA volunteer serving with KCDC will be involved in capacity building in health care access and health education for residents in Knoxville’s public housing. This opportunity will provide the VISTA volunteer with an opportunity to become very familiar with public housing and the importance of affordable housing. The research and planning by this member will be leveraged many times over, whether through planned resident activities, long-lasting partnerships, or resident health improvement. They will likely have the opportunity to see a concept through from idea, to planning, to implementation, and finally, evaluation, gaining experience and knowledge in project planning, partnership development, evaluation, and working with a diverse group of people to make it all happen.
- Develop procedures for health volunteers in working with low-income individuals in public housing
- Develop external referral list to access health care resources for low-income residents in public housing
- Track Utilization of Services by low-income residents
- Recruit and track health-related volunteers and partners to work with low-income residents
- Work with health partners to exhibit at annual Community Resource Fairs
- Schedule health-related presentations by partners for low-income residents of the 4 high rise public housing buildings
- Create welcoming presence in clinic space at Love Towers (low-income residential high-rise)
- Develop first year baseline of low-income health care access, then evaluate usage, partners, and need in years 2 & 3
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; social media platforms; Zoom.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to work well in a team environment with residents, community partners, and KCDC staff.
Member Benefits Include:
- A modest living allowance of $17,600 or, $675.08 bi-weekly (pre-tax), paid over 52 weeks.
- Education Award of $6,495 that can be applied to student loans and/or future education expenses OR a $1,800 end-of-service stipend.
- Housing subsidy of up to $300/month
- Relocation reimbursement at $0.40/mile if relocating more than 50 miles for service
- Up to $750 Settling-In Allowance to reimburse upfront moving costs
- A Health insurance subsidy is available for members covered through healthcare.gov
- 80 Hours Personal Leave AND 80 Hours Sick Leave
- 11 Holidays
- Worker’s Compensation
- Child Care Reimbursement
- May be eligible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). In-house SNAP benefits specialist available to provide assistance in determining eligibility.
- May be eligible for utility bill assistance. In-house specialists available to provide assistance with determining eligibility.
- Professional development and networking opportunities.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility status for federal hiring after completion of service.
- Opportunity to enroll concurrently in Carson Newman MBA in Nonprofit Leadership
Equity and Inclusion: The Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee (CAC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will take action to ensure that members and employees are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender, romantic/sexual orientation, age, handicap, cultural or religious convictions. CAC AmeriCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees. Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation at any point in the recruitment / employment process.